For more than a century, the Women’s Civic League, Inc. of Baltimore has served to improve the quality of life for the citizens of Baltimore.
The Women’s Civic League, Inc. is the oldest continuous civic improvement organization in the United States. Begun in the Fall of 1911 by an elite group of Baltimore socialites, the Women’s Civic League, Inc. has historically concentrated on the beautification of Baltimore. From 1911 to 1999, the Women’s Civic League, Inc. sponsored the annual Flower Mart at the Washington Monument – the oldest outdoor flower mart in the country. It now sponsors the Annual Apple Festival as its major fundraiser.
The League began with such committee as Refuse Disposal, Smoke Abatement, Home Garden, Safe Milk for Children, Health, Art, Citizenship, and City Planning and Zoning. In its over one-hundred-year history, the League has been instrumental in sponsoring or supporting legislation for the betterment of City public schools, public safety, and ordinances that improve the health of the residents of Baltimore City, such as fighting to ban open air burning of trash in the city’s neighborhoods and also helped to get legislation passed that erected five incinerators in the City. The League designated the “red rose” as Baltimore’s official flower and provided awards to residents who beautified their yards with flowering plants – “Red Rose Award”.
The League has also:
– Planted 10,000 ornamental trees throughout the City.
– Donated $5,000 to Department of Recreation and Parks for replanting of historic Mount Vernon Square.
– Conducted tours of both Baltimore City Hall and historic Shot Tower Park.
– Paid for 61 shade trees to be planted in neighborhoods in the City.
– Donated the Naiad bronze statue in the East Fountain in historic Mount Vernon Square
Today, the Women’s Civic League, Inc. is an inclusive organization striving to cultivate the next generation of civic-minded Baltimore residents. We are proud of our place in Baltimore’s past and efforts to conserve the City’s history.
In 1971, the Women’s Civic League, Inc. entered into an agreement with the City of Baltimore to acquire 9 North Front Street as its headquarters. The 178-year old building had fallen into disrepair. The League restored the home to its present state, an outstanding representation of a modest Federal Period home. It is part of the Baltimore Heritage Foundation tour and the permanent home of the Women’s Civic League, Inc.